We Offer Top-Notch Legal Services Focusing on Integrity, Advocacy & Understanding

Adult Disabled Children in Pasadena

Helping You Provide the Care Your Child Needs

Once a child turns 18, she is generally able to make decisions for herself. But what happens when legal adults are unable to properly take care of themselves? Injury, disability, and addiction can prevent adults from living independently. With rising rates of autism and other disabilities, more and more people are left unable to properly care for themselves as they reach adulthood. On top of physical disabilities, drug addiction can also leave adults incapacitated and unable to make necessary health and financial decisions.

In California, all parents are obligated to support their adult children if they are not able to support themselves. Depending on your situation, your adult disabled child may be eligible for certain financial and health benefits that can ease your burden and ensure that your child receives the appropriate care. The legal team at Marilyn Smith Law APC can assess your situation and help you understand your options. If applicable, we can help you establish a conservatorship for your adult disabled child. Your child’s well-being is our priority.

Call Team LOOMMS at (626) 317-6068 to learn more about your options and to schedule a consultation.

Who Qualifies as an Adult Disabled Child?

In California, after a child "ages out" of child support, he or she may qualify for continuing support if your child is unable to provide his or her own support.

At a federal level, the Social Security Administration (SSA) outlines the requirements for consideration as an adult disabled child.

To qualify, you must:

  • Be over age 18
  • Be unmarried
  • Have a disability that began before you turned 22
  • Have at least one parent who receives Social Security benefits or who received benefits at the time of their death

Qualifying adults are eligible for financial support through the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program or the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program.

Ongoing Child Support for Disabled Adults

In California, if your ex-spouse or the other parent of your child pays child support, payments may not end if the child is disabled. In some situations, support payments may be ordered to continue indefinitely.

Your child needs and deserves compassion and support. Without the added income from child support payments, your child may not have access to medical services, education, and other much-needed resources. If your partner is disputing child support payments for an adult disabled child, Marilyn Smith Law APC can help protect your rights and ensure that you receive the necessary payments.

SSI, Medicare & Other Benefits

Caring for an adult disabled child means dealing with SSI (Supplemental Security Income), Medicare, and other health and financial benefits. Applying for these benefits can be overwhelming and time-consuming. It is wise to have a skilled Pasadena family attorney on your side to help you know your rights regarding the benefits your child deserves.

Marilyn Smith Law APC provides compassionate representation that prioritizes your family’s well-being. Our Pasadena conservatorship attorneys are dedicated to helping you navigate these difficult situations.

Contact us online or call (626) 317-6068 if you have questions regarding child support for disabled adults.

We Value Our Client Relationships

Hear Former Clients' Stories
  • “She literally saved my life and I am eternally grateful.”


  • “Marilyn Smith has talent beyond words.”

    Former Client

What Sets The Law Office of Marilyn M. Smith Apart?

  1. Most cases require multiple areas of expertise. Team LOOMMS takes a comprehensive approach to every case we handle.
  2. Our clients are our business. We give the respectful attention that your case deserves.
  3. Our attorney brings 40 years of experience to every case.
  4. Lead attorney Marilyn M. Smith has tried over 200+ cases in both state and federal court.
Request a Case Evaluation
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.