We Offer Top-Notch Legal Services Focusing on Integrity, Advocacy & Understanding

Pasadena Fathers' Rights Lawyer

Protecting the Rights of Fathers in California

Fathers are important members of the family and have a vital role to play in the upbringing of their children. That is why the California family law system was designed to make it easier for fathers to take an active role in their children's lives. However, in some cases, a mother may try to prevent the father from having an equal share of the parenting responsibilities. If you are a father who wants to be involved in your child's life, but the mother is preventing you from doing so, you need an experienced fathers' rights attorney on your side.

At Marilyn Smith Law APC, we are committed to helping our clients obtain the rights and responsibilities they deserve. We can work with you to negotiate an agreement with the mother, or we can fight for your rights in court. We understand that fathers have unique needs and concerns, and we are ready to fight for your rights and your children.

For more information on how we can help, contact us today.

Fathers' Rights in California

Under California family law, both parents are considered to be equal, regardless of gender. This means that the mother and father are both equally entitled to share legal and physical custody of their children. However, it is important to note that the mother is typically given preference when it comes to physical custody. This is because the courts want to give children the benefit of having a close relationship with both of their parents.

If you are a father who wants to spend time with your children, you can either negotiate an agreement with the mother or ask the court to make a decision. The court will consider what is in the best interest of the child when deciding the custody arrangement. However, the court will generally try to maintain the child's relationship with both parents.

As a father, you have the right to request a court order for visitation or parenting time. You can also ask the court to make decisions about your child's upbringing, such as the child's religion and education. As a father, you also have the right to ask the court for a say in major decisions, such as the child's education and medical care. This is especially important in cases where the mother is planning to move out of state.

If you are a father and you suspect that the mother is planning to move out of the state with your children, you can ask the court to issue a geographical restriction order. This order will prevent the mother from taking your children out of California without your permission. You can also ask the court to order the mother to give you the children's passports, so you can keep track of their travels.

Help Protect Your Father's Rights

When it comes to child custody matters, emotions can run high. This can make it especially difficult for fathers to get the legal agreements they want with the mother. We can help you obtain an agreement with the mother or represent you in court. We can also help you fight for your parental rights so that you can be a part of your child's life.

For more information about our fathers' rights services, contact us today.

We Value Our Client Relationships

Hear Former Clients' Stories
  • “She literally saved my life and I am eternally grateful.”


  • “Marilyn Smith has talent beyond words.”

    Former Client

What Sets The Law Office of Marilyn M. Smith Apart?

  1. Most cases require multiple areas of expertise. Team LOOMMS takes a comprehensive approach to every case we handle.
  2. Our clients are our business. We give the respectful attention that your case deserves.
  3. Our attorney brings 40 years of experience to every case.
  4. Lead attorney Marilyn M. Smith has tried over 200+ cases in both state and federal court.
Request a Case Evaluation
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.